Seven inducted into National Honor Society

Back to Article
Back to Article

Haili Smith-Morin, Editor

Seven high school students were inducted into the National Honor Society on Monday in a ceremony in the Gym Foyer. Presiding over the ceremony was high school principal Regina Ingle.

Students Senior Haleigh Guajardo, Juniors Jackson Greener, Frankie Rodriquez, Daniella Martinez, Jesus Juarez, Cheyenne Barnes and Isiah Cisneros all became members of the organization.

National Honor Society is a group of students who achieve high standards in grades, community service, and leadership.  They are nominated by their teachers for the process.  They represent the best of the best in high school.  The NHS Sponsor is Carolyn Van Wettering.

There are now a total of fourteen students in NHS in Morton.  Others are seniors Haili Smith-Morin, Melody Maldonado, Hannah Mankin, Jose Rivera, Malachi Villareal, Ashley Roberts, and Danyka Mendoza.  Seniors will wear an NHS stole over their gown at graduation indicating their high achievement.

The candle ceremony was attended by friends and family of the inductees.  Inductees pledged the NHS oath by lighting a candle from current members in a “passing of the flame” tradition.

There area number of activities and opportunities associated with NHS, including scholarships and other awards.

For more information on the National Honor Society, go to www.nhs.us .