Tribe

Maidens advance to next level

Back to Article
Back to Article

Maidens advance to next level

The Maidens won the bi-district championship on Monday night with a 56-33 victory over Crosbyton.

Melanie Ridley

Melanie Ridley

Melanie Ridley

Russell Hill, Adviser

The Maidens began post-season play on Monday night at Coronado High School in Lubbock.  The ladies faced Crosbyton in the bi-district match up and emerged with a 56-33 victory.

The winning effort was led by senior Abbi Boggs and junior Haleigh Guajardo, with 12 and 10 points respectively.

“I’m proud of how well the girls played tonight,” girls basketball coach Soli Shellman said.  “These girls have put in a lot of time, sweat, dedication to their season and you can see it on the floor.”

The Maidens took an early lead on Monday night and never looked back, outscoring Crosbyton in all four quarters.

Senior Abbi Boggs lead the team with 12 points, five steals and four rebounds.  Shellman says her example is a key to the team effort.

“All ten players have the same goal in mind and that is to win,” Shellman said. “They push each other in practice and my captains do a great job of holding each teammate accountable to do their best every time they step on the floor.”

Junior Alyssa Rodriquez was also a key player in the bi-district victory.

“She does a great job of running the offense and making sure everyone is in their spot doing their job,” Shellman said. “When we need a bucket or a stop she steps up and makes that happen.  Alyssa has a done a great job leading her team by her actions.”

Shellman is proud of junior Ashely Roberts as well.

“Ashely has done a great job of controlling the top of the defense in our full court press,” Shellman said. “She helps distribute the ball on offense and has done a great job of embracing her new role this year and continues to work at it.”

Next up for the Maidens are the Garden City Lady Kats for Area Championship.

“We play Garden City who is ranked 4th in the state and deserves the rank,” Shellman said.  “We will need to play our best game on Thursday and leave it all out there on the floor.”

The Maidens will play Garden City on Thursday, February 14 in Klondike.  The team is currently 20-10 overall.  A win on Thursday will be a great Valentine for coach Shellman and the Maidens.

About the Writer
Russell Hill, Adviser

Mr. Hill comes from a background in Restaurant Management, Marketing, Publishing and Education. Prior to Morton ISD, he worked for 9 years with the Lubbock...