Tribe

This is our year!

Back to Article
Back to Article

This is our year!

The Morton Cross Country boys team at Mae Simmons Park in Lubbock on October 9 Regional Meet.  L to R: Coach Shellman, Gabriel Reese (11), Matt Cisneros (12), Camren Flores (12) and Jackson Greener (10).

The Morton Cross Country boys team at Mae Simmons Park in Lubbock on October 9 Regional Meet. L to R: Coach Shellman, Gabriel Reese (11), Matt Cisneros (12), Camren Flores (12) and Jackson Greener (10).

Danyka Mendoza

Danyka Mendoza

Danyka Mendoza

Danyka Mendoza, Tribe reporter

Morton High School’s Cross Country coach Soli Shellman has brought a new outlook to the 2018 season. Coach Shellman worked and motivated kids to run and compete in cross country.

“I have never taken a group of kids to regional in cross country as a head coach and I am really excited to get the experience and to compete,” Shellman said. “I believe this is our year.”

The regional meet will be in Lubbock, Texas at Mae Simmons Park. Coach Shellman has a whole team of boys and one girl advancing to regionals this year. They are Camren Florez, Jackson Greener, Matthew Cisneros, Gabriel Reese, and Isiah Cisneros for the boys. For the girls Nissa Navarrete has advanced.

“The boys will compete very well because they work really hard and they thrive to compete with each other every time they run,” Coach Shellman said.

The boys on the team all bring something different and unique to the team and that’s why it is so successful. Reese brings his willingness to get criticism and thrive off of it. Isiah brings his hard work and dedication. Jackson brings his desire to improve his time every time he runs. Matt brings his experience and his competiveness. As for Nissa on the girl’s side she brings passion, determination, and athleticism.

“I am excited for Nissa to get the experience of regionals,” Shellman said. “She has been working really hard and been battling through her condition.  I am impressed with Nissa’s effort and desire to run with arthritis which effects the joints.”

Shellman is preparing the runners by working on incline and working on challenging hills because in Mae Simmons there is one challenging hill which they need to learn to embrace, instead of being afraid of it.

“I have a really good feeling that Matt is going to do very well in regionals because of his experience and he has been on regional team before,” Shellman said. “But now that he has broken his finger due to a football accident it is going to be interesting to see how that is going to affect him, stated coach.”

Coach Shellman has pushed the cross country team like they have never been pushed before. She makes sure they are giving it a 100% every time they run, and make sure they strive for greatness.

“I am very excited to see what the future holds for these kids because I know that with that passion and athleticism they have it will take them far in cross country and I am just glad I am here to push them to make sure they do the best that can, “Shellman said.

About the Contributor