Tribe

It’s harvest time!

Alejandra Cardenas, Tribe reporter

It’s October and harvest season as officially begun. This summer for most cotton farmers in the South Plains has been really dry. Some of the dry land fields that survived are below average compared to other years.

“We really needed it to rain at the beginning of the year now we need it to stop raining,” local farm hand Armando Cardenas said.

The weather has not been the best for the cotton crop this year.

“These last few weeks it has been raining which is bad for the cotton that has opened,” Cardenas said.   “It makes it turn black and rot. The rain is also causing the fiber quality and the seed quality to go bad.”

The excess rain has even caused problems with the sprouts.

“In some cases, it is also causing problems with the cottonseed sprouting,” Cardenas said. “This year’s cotton in South and East Texas will possibly be lower in fiber quality.”

Some of the equipment used when picking up cotton is cotton pickers, boll buggies, and module builders. Cotton pickers will pick up a large cube of cotton mixed with seeds. As the cotton picker moves the cotton will rotate in barbed spindles that removes it from the plant. Once the basket is full it will be transferred to a module builder where the cotton will be compressed into a large cube.

If the basket in the cotton picker is full you could use a boll buggy to save you the trip to the module builder. The module builders are where all the cotton gets dumped. Here the cotton gets pressed ready for getting taken to a cotton gin.