Tribe

Morton wins against rival

Back to Article
Back to Article

Morton wins against rival

Junior Gabriel Reese (1), prepares for the next play in the game vs. Whiteface.  Morotn won the game 42-40 for their first win of the season.

Junior Gabriel Reese (1), prepares for the next play in the game vs. Whiteface. Morotn won the game 42-40 for their first win of the season.

Abbi Boggs

Abbi Boggs

Abbi Boggs

Marytza Martinez, Tribe reporter

The Indians won their first game of the season Friday against school rival, Whiteface Antelopes.

“It felt pretty good because we worked hard, we were focused, and we kind of messed up but we didn’t give up,” Junior Gabriel Reese said.

Winning this game, however, did not enhance the rivalry we have with them.

“I think it showed them that we are top in the county,” Reese said. “I think it settled all the tension and made them quiet.”

Despite many claims that Morton would lose, the negativity had only a positive effect on the team.

“It made us want to work harder to beat them because everyone was saying that we were going to lose,” Reese said. “Football pretty much runs every sport in Texas so we wanted to beat them so they can’t talk down on us.”

The game itself however was very intense and because of the rivalry there was more pressure to win.

“It felt more intense and much harder,” Reese said. “It’s like we had to win.”

There was so much support and cheers of encouragement that it even helped improved the team during the game.

“It made the game pretty fun,” Reese said. “The crowd cheering made it hyped up and it was pretty fun to have them all there.”

The support also made Reese feel really good during the game, despite this game being the main focus of this year’s football season.

“It felt pretty good, but I kind of wish they would support us at every game, but it was good that they were there for that game,” Reese said.

He enjoyed all of the support that was given during the game.

“It made the game pretty fun, it made me hyped up,” Reese said. “The crowd did a good job and it was pretty fun to have them all there.”

The players believe that the crowd’s effort during this game really gave them positivity and helped increase their confidence.

“It would give us a more positive attitude and more intensity to play harder,” Reese said.

Reese also thinks the season would very different if the crowd cheered like this at previous games.

“I think we would be a lot better if we always had this kind of support,” Reese said. “We would finish and compete, but we also need more intensity in our practices because we sometimes mess around.”

The win from this game did effect the team in a very positive way.

“The win made us know that we could do this, finish hard, and go to playoffs,” Reese said.

The win also made the team feel positive as a whole.

“We felt very good and happy that we won,” Reese said.  “It was important.”