New wing dedicated

Spring Filing features CTE ribbon-cutting

CTE+Ribbon-Cutting

Sophia Viernes

CTE Teachers Tiffeny Smith, Russell Hill, Christopher Mortensen, Principal Rina Ramos, Shonda Cannon and Keith McCain cut the ribbon to dedicate the new CTE wing of the school on Monday night.

Russell Hill, For The Tribe

Morton Schools hosted Spring Fling 2022 on Monday night with dedications of new construction and a variety of events.

Parents and community members were treated with a chance to visit with teachers, witness the ribbon-cutting of the new CTE wing, enjoy a pasta meal, and participate in activities in all the Career and Technical Education classes.  There was also a short concert performed by the Indian Band and an Art Gallery featuring the works of Morton art students.  The Elementary school dedicated a new playground as part of the evening’s festivities.

The evening began with a general open house for parents to drop by and visit with their student’s teachers.  Culinary Arts students began serving a pasta meal with s

Student art gallery at Spring Fling 2022
The student art gallery at Spring Fling 2022 (Sophia Viernes)

alad, bread, and drinks at 5:30 in the multipurpose room.  At 6:00, The Indian Band performed a set of three numbers for the crowd enjoying their dinner.

The ribbon-cutting took place next, with a few words from Secondary Principal Rina Ramos.  The new CTE wing features three new classrooms, a health department section, and a new agriculture section along with a large workshop.  The dedications were the culmination of a year-long construction expansion by the school district.

The Art Department displayed recent creations by their students.  There was a silent auction for the assorted works of the students.

Career and Technical Education teachers hosted hands-on activities for the guests.  In the culinary lab, guests were able to decorate cookies.  In the workshop, guests could create a keychain on the plasma cutter.  The Health Department demonstrated the proper procedure for removing staples and sutures, and conducted training on CPR and “stop the bleed”.  Down the hall, visitors could take photos in the photo booth with Media Arts.

Sutchering
Health teacher Mrs. Cannon demonstrates how to remove stitches.

“We are very proud of the CTE Department and the new facilities, ” principal Rina Ramos said.  “We are looking forward to offering many new classes to our students next school year.”

The Career and Technical Education Department is made up of Culinary Arts with teacher Tiffeny Smith, Health Sciences with Shonda Cannon, Agriculture Sciences with Christopher Mortensen, Robotics with Andrew Purcella, and Construction Arts with Keith McCain.  Students can register for a certain pathway to develop their skills in these areas during their high school career.  Many of the disciplines also offer professional certifications for their students.  For more information on the CTE program at Morton Schools, contact the high school office.