Homecoming week is “Fast and Furious”

Wet conditions fail to dampen homecoming spirit

Homecoming King Xeno Garza and Homecoming Queen Nissa Navarrete

Homecoming 2021 Gallery

The main underlying theme of the 2021-2022 school year seems to be an attempt to get things back to normal for the school.  After the shutdown in 2020 and the start and stop nature of last year, everyone seemed eager to make this year more like a normal school year.  Despite some interference from the weather, Homecoming Week 2021 ended with an overall feeling of satisfaction that the school is back on track.

Planning for HOCO week began shortly after school started in August.  Student Council elections from spring, 2021 aided in having officers and committees already established to get started immediately.  Following Labor Day, class groups were busy meeting with parents and sponsors to plan the various activated for the cherished week.

The heavy work began on September 24 as classes were dismissed following lunch and all student groups gathered to decorate their assigned halls in the secondary building and begin work on their floats for the parade.  The theme of “2 Fast, 2 Furious” was prevalent in the halls as all student groups used cars and other automotive and racing designs for their decorations.  Sponsors, students, and parents all gathered and labored to prepare their hall for the eventual judging later in the week.  And work began on the floats for each class.

On the evening of the 26th, parents, and students gathered once again for decorating the streets around the campuses.  With paint donated by local merchants and assistance from the Morton Athletic Booster Club, the streets down Champion Drive and in front of the gym and football field were prepared for the coming week of festivities, including the tailgate party and parade.

The Junior class is hard at work with their design for street painting.

Spirit Week began on Monday with Pajama Day, where students and staff wore pajamas to school.  During the week, students were able to purchase links to a class “spirit chain”.  Links were 25 cents each and the class with the longest chain at the end of spirit week would have the chance to throw some pies in the faces of Mrs. Ramos and Coach Ramsey at the pep rally.

Tuesday was “College Day” and students and staff wore jerseys and other college wear from their favorite institute of higher learning.  Tuesday evening each class sponsored a table at the Homecoming Tailgate Party.  From hot dogs and tacos to gorditas and all fashion of sweets and desserts, tailgaters had the chance to try food fare from each class group seventh through twelfth.  The senior class also sponsored a water slide as a class fundraiser and Student Council held a car show as a fundraiser for their group.

The freshmen tailgate section featured homemade gorditas prepared by freshman parent Alma Pina.

Wednesday was “Way Back Wednesday” and parents were invited to attend classes with their students and encouraged, if graduates of MHS, to wear their letter jackets and other MHS gear from their days in school.  Several parents accepted the challenge and did attend classes all day to see what a day in school is like for their children.  For the students, high school dressed like old people, junior high dressed like babies, and teachers and staff dressed as they did in high school.  The day is capped off with a “Way Back Pep Rally” featuring athletes and cheerleaders from previous classes performing once again for the student body.

Thursday was “Color Day”.  Each class was encouraged to wear their class color: For Elementary; PK – Yellow, K – Orange, 1st – Green, 2nd – Blue, 3rd – Purple, 4th – Red, 5th – White, 6th – Grey.  For the Secondary campus class colors were: 7th grade-Orange, 8th grade-Purple, 9th grade-Green, 10th grade-Blue, 11th grade-Red, 12th grade-White for staff – Tie Dye.  Thursday was the night of the senior bonfire, but due to wet weather conditions, the bonfire was postponed until the week of November 5 when senior night for the final home game of the season will be played.

Way Back Wednesday featured parents attending classes with their students. Here, 8th grader Britton Boggs is with his mom Assistant Principal Holly Boggs.

Game Day Friday began with the football players greeting the elementary students as they arrived for school.  Friday was “Spirit Day” and all students and staff wore their Morton gear.  Beat the Drum began at 7:00 a.m. and carried through the entire day.  Students and teachers from classes all day long moved over from campus to the gym in the rain to take turns beating the drum for Homecoming 2021.  The day had been planned as an “early release” class schedule day so that students and staff could participate in the parade.  But due to the rain and threatening weather conditions, the parade was canceled, and the school moved to a pep rally schedule.  The parade will possibly take place during the senior week the first week of November.

The 2021 Morton High School Homecoming Royalty.

At the pep rally, the Homecoming Court was introduced to the school. Homecoming King, Xeno Garza. Football Beau, Aaron Lynsey, Band Sweetheart Kami Rodriguez, Football Sweetheart, Andrea Casteneda.  Freshman Duke and Duchess: Abel Vizcarra and Alyna Lujan, Sophomore Duke and Duchess: Gilberto Vigil and Clarissa Holland, Junior Duke and Duchess: Jose Gutierrez and Adrienne George.  Homecoming Queen would be announced at the pre-game festivities that evening.

The Morton Athletic Booster Club Homecoming Dinner began at 5:00 p.m. in the Gym Foyer.  Due to rainy conditions and the threat of lightning strikes, the pre-game festivities for homecoming were moved to the gym for safety.  The Court was introduced to the public and the 2021 Homecoming Queen, Nissa Navarrete was announced.

The “Old Guard” man the concession booth in preparation for the big game. Mr. Fisher, Mr. Hill, and Mr. Ridley. Due to the cold and wet conditions, hot chocolate was a big seller.

As the rain and lightning continued, officials delayed the game start until 8:15 when it was deemed safe to begin play.  The Indians rolled to a 52-0 win over Odessa Compass Academy.  Following the game, the Athletic Boosters sponsored a Homecoming Dance in the Elementary Gym.