Students visit area hospital

CTE Camp travels to Tahoka

Morton CTE Campers in the EMT garage at Lynn County Hospital District

Morton CTE Summer Camp started as a way to introduce the Morton incoming freshmen to the various career pathways open to them as CTE students.  The goal of the camp is to show them real careers that are available in the area through CTE pathways.  The camp began on July 12 and will run through July 30.

CTE Summer Camp ended the first week with a trip to Lynn County Hospital District in Tahoka.  Twelve students heard about the various careers available in a rural hospital setting.

The group began the morning with a tour and presentation of the dietary facilities, including the kitchen and cafeteria. Questions were answered about the various types of menus followed and dietary restrictions as well as the different careers present.

The students then headed into the business office to learn about billing, coding, and medical records.  The students heard about all the paperwork involved with Medicare, Insurance, Medicaid, and other billing procedures.

Students learning about careers in the nursing and patient services fields.

Following the business office, students were lead to patient services.  Here they heard about nursing and patient care.  The students were impressed at the many hours involved in taking care of patient needs.  They also made a short stop in surgery to view the equipment used in the OR>

Next on the tour was radiology.  Students saw the x-ray and the CT scan machines.  They heard about jobs as x-ray techs, sonogram techs, and other radiology positions.

The group then headed out to EMT services.  LCHD has four ambulances and serves all of Lynn County.  Students heard all about becoming an EMT and were shown the inner workings of an ambulance.  Students were told about the schooling they would need to become a professional EMT.

Then it was back to the hospital for a lunch provided by the dietary staff.  Students enjoyed chicken strips, green beans, mashed potatoes, and a roll before loading the vehicles to travel back to Morton.

The Lynn County Hospital District employs 170 employees.

The weekly prize winners were Xavien Rodriquez with a Nintendo Switch Bundle and Abel Vizcarra with a Bose Speaker.

Students by the CT Scanner.

The Healthcare pathways fall under the career clusters of Mrs. Cannon at Morton High School.  Her courses include Anatomy and Physiology, Principles of Health, Medical Terminology, and Pathophysiology.  She offers certifications in Certified Phlebotomist and Certified Clinical Medical Assistant.  Students who are interested in a possible career in the health field should visit Mrs. Cannon and the counselor about the availability of her classes this fall.

One goal of all CTE groups is to develop the leaders of tomorrow and support the community. CTE develops leaders through various student organizations.  The student organization for Mrs. Cannon is HOSA-Future Health Professionals.  For information on HOSA – Future Health Professionals, visit their website.

For more information about Lynn County Hospital District, visit their website.

Next week, the campers will visit Early Head Start, butcher shop, floral shop, bakery, South Plains College media arts, the Levelland newspaper, the volunteer center of Lubbock, and a cabinet millworks.