A day in Littlefield

CTE Campers attend learning sessions at funeral home and restaurant

Morton Summer CTE Camp on day two in Littlefield.

The CTE Summer Camp began day two with a drive to Littlefield to visit Hillcrest Funeral Home and Locos Restaurant.

Eight campers were treated to a presentation and tour of Hillcrest Funeral Home by the owner and director Shawna Hastings.

The morning began with Hastings telling the students about her education and training to become a licensed mortician in Texas.  She and her husband Sam have owned and operated the funeral home for 15 years.

Shawna Hastings explains caskets and vaults to the campers in the selection room at Hillcrest Funeral Home.

Hastings described the various aspects of their business and the many aspects they need to know to be successful such as cosmetology, counseling, and chemistry.  She said the most important duty of her job is to “be there for the families and to love on them.”

The tour of the home took the students from the chapel to the arrangements room, the selection room, the embalming room, and the viewing room.  Students and teachers alike had many questions for her about her profession.

For more information about Hillcrest Funeral Home, visit their website

Campers enjoy lunch at Locos in Littlefield.

Following the funeral home, the campers headed to Locos Restaurant for lunch.  This landmark restaurant in Littlefield is owned and operated by Hector Espindola and his wife Diana. Following a lunch of tacos and enchiladas, Espindola told the students about his background, the restaurant business in general, and also a little about catering.

He told the students “work hard, be honest, be true to yourself and do what you love”.

For more information on Locos, visit their website

Beats Pill winner Miriam Vizcarra.

After lunch students headed back to Morton to reflect on what they had learned and to draw for the daily prize.  Today’s prize winner was Miriam, winner of a Beats Pill.  Tomorrow the group will head to Lubbock for a day full of activities at The Science Spectrum.