Seniors walk the halls of Morton ISD

Davoni Benevidez

Valedictorian Jackson Greener and Salutatorian Frankie Rodriquez lead the procession through he halls of Morton Elementary on May 17. The seniors were taking the traditional senior walk to let other students see their achievement. Greener will be attending Texas Techy University in Media and Communications and Rodriquez will attend South Plains College for Auto Body repair.

The graduating Class of 2021 took one last walk through the halls of where it all began for them twelve years ago.

Morton seniors took to the halls in their caps and gowns on Monday to celebrate the completion of twelve years of school. Senior carried hand-made signs depicting their intentions after

graduation and walked the halls of the Elementary campus and the Secondary campus to cheers from students and staff.

“This is not only a way to celebrate the accomplishments of our seniors,” senior sponsor Russell Hill said.  “It is also a way for other students to get excited about the future and about life after high school.”

Senior composite 2021
Senior composite 2021 (Lifetouch)

The senior composite was also placed in the front hall of the secondary campus on Monday.  The composites go all the way back to the Class of 1953.  Seniors will each receive an 8″ x 10″ copy of the composite as a keepsake at commencement.

Senior spent the last week preparing individual signs that indicate their intentions following graduation.  Valedictorian Jackson Greener will be attending Texas Tech University in Media and Communications and Salutatorian Frankie Rodriquez will attend South Plains College for Auto Body Repair.  Senior Meghan Lopez will be enlisting in the United States Navy and Senior Isaiah Cisneros will be enlisting in the United States Marine Corps.  Others, like Valeria Vigil and Yazmin Vigil, will attend South Plains College to begin their path in dentistry.

“We even will have all the same classes together,” Valeria said. “It’s kinda cool and should be fun.”

Seniors Valeria Vigil and Yazmin Vigil during the senior walk. Both will attend South Plains College for dentistry. (Davoni Benevidez)

The Morton Class of 2021 will graduate on Friday, May 28 at 7:00 p.m. at the county Activity Center.  Seating has been restricted due to COVID restrictions and tickets to the event are already sold out.  The video production classes from the high school will be covering commencement and will have video available, along with others of the senior class, sometime in June.