Morton CTE students celebrate teachers

Teacher Appreciation Week concludes with luncheon

CTE+lunch

Russ

Senior Yazmin Vigil and Sophomore Abril Anaya head out of the Culinary Arts rooms with lunch deliveries for Morton secondary teachers. The luncheon was a treat from the Morton Career and Technical Student Organizations.

Career and Technical students from Morton ISD spent Teacher Appreciation Week honoring their teachers and showing them their gratitude for all they have done this year.

The yearbook staff spent Wednesday morning delivering small gifts of chewing gum to all the teachers in the Junior High and High School.  Later that day, seventh-graders from Mr. Hill’s library reading class delivered tissue flowers they had been making.  The students worked on the flowers all week and delivered them to each teacher in the secondary school on Wednesday afternoon.

7th grade flowers
Seventh-grade students work on tissue flowers for their teachers in the library. (Russell Hill)

“It really made my day,” said Mr. Cancey, a teacher at Indian Academy. “I think sometimes we forgot that they really do appreciate us, even if they don’t always show it.”

The teachers really appreciated being thought of in this way by the students.

“Thank you so much for my gift,” said Bell Calezuela.  “It made me smile.”

To close out the week, the Career and Technical Student Organizations made up of FCCLA (Family Consumer Science and Culinary Arts), FFA (Agriculture Sciences), HOSA (Health Sciences), and Quill and Scroll (Media and Communication) banded together to provide a teach appreciation luncheon.

Mr. Hill’s Media and Digital Arts students prepared “Room Service” menus and Mrs. Smith’s students delivered to the teachers on Wednesday and collected their choices on Thursday.  Friday, all groups pitched in to deliver a lunch of pulled pork (courtesy FFA and Dr. Reed’s students), Beans, Slaw, Rolls, cobbler or pie, ice cream, and a beverage.  FCCLA students delivered the lunches to teachers throughout both lunch periods.

FCCLA Lunch
FCCLA students Senior Meghan Lopez and junior Makayla Rodriquez prepare plates for the teacher luncheon. (Russell Hill)

“We are so grateful for all our teachers and how helpful they are to our CTE students,” said Tiffeny Smith, Culinary Arts teacher. “This was just a small way of showing them that appreciation.”