Prom returns to MHS

prom

Russell Hill

The decorated Prom sign made by Junior Mikayla Rodriquez was the focal point of the Prom 2021 decorations.

Russell Hill, For The Tribe

The closure of the school last March due to the COVID scare brought an end to the planning of Prom 2020.  The junior class who had been planning that prom has been hopeful this year that they would be able to enjoy their senior prom.  On Saturday night, their dreams were realized.

Junior class sponsors Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Cannon and the entire junior class spent many hours of planning and preparation for the 2021 event.

“It’s been a lot of work,” Mrs. Cannon said. “But we are so happy we could bring prom back for our students this year.”

The group transformed the new multipurpose room into an elegant ballroom and dining room.  Ample seating for dinner and a dancefloor with DJ booth, highlighted by large standing balloon letters “PROM”.

The work on the 2021 Prom has been going on behind the scenes for quite some time accoring to Mrs. Smith.

“We have been working toward Prom since this class began their Freshman year,” Smith said.  “We have worked the concession stand for football games both Freshman and Sophomore year and have had many discussions with students about what they would like their Prom to look like.”

According to Smith, this year’s prom theme was a compromise amongst the students by combining three main ideas. Rustic, Golden, and Woods.  Decorations were prepared in advance and stored in the backroom before the actual setup began.

“We started setting up for Prom on Wednesday by moving the stage,” Smith said. “On Friday we began at 2 pm and finished around 8:30 pm.”

Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Cannon both were deeply grateful to the many students and parents that assisted in this year’s prom production.

“It certainly took many people

Prom King and Queen Christian Leyva and Yazmin Vigil

to pull off Prom,” Smith said.  “We are proud of the Juniors that stepped up and went above and beyond.  Nissa Navarette let us borrow tablecloths and chair covers, Makayla Rodriguez and her Mom helped tremendously with decorations; designed the PROM Balloon Letters and Pallet Display.  Makayla and Kami Rodriguez’s dads grilled the protein for our meal.  Elena Alvarado and her Mom provided cupcakes and fruit cups.  Xeno’s mom went above and beyond by leading the decoration team on Friday and creating balloon magic! She also prepared the baked potatoes, cherry fluff, and agua frescas for the meal.  Miryea’s grandmother provided cupcakes for dessert and helped in the planning.  Davoni Benavadez’s mom donated her creativity and skill by etching the keepsake glasses and she provided the beautiful silverware we used for the meal.  Jovanni, Mario, Xeno, Jesus, and Mariah helped tremendously by using their muscles!  They moved the stage, hung lights and draping, helped unload groceries and supplies, and were on hand when needed.  Huge gratitude goes to Mrs. Cannon for organizing the decorations, purchasing decorations, and arranging the tablescape.  We are so thankful to Mrs. Truitt for helping decorate and serve the prom meal.  Mr. Hill earns a round of thanks for capturing the fun through video and photography. ”

Seventh-grade students served as food servers for the upperclassmen.

The event began at 7 pm on Saturday with the prepared meal of steak, baked potato, salad, roll, and dessert.  Students began arriving in their prom regalia around 6:45.

Following dinner, the dance floor and the photo booth were opened for the student’s enjoyment.  Students voted on Prom King and Queen throughout the night with the winners Christian Leyva and Yazmin Vigil crowned at 10 pm.

“Prom was a great success,” Smith said.  “It is enlightening to see our students, parents, and school community join together to celebrate.”

Special thanks to:
Makayla Rodriguez/Kristi Zapata/Ruben Rodriquez
Davoni Benavidez/Rose Gonzalez
Elena Alvarado/Hope Alvarado
Xeno Garza/Misty Soliz
Miryea Hernandez/Maria Hernandez
Kami Rodrguez/Marcelo Rodriguez