Morton CTE hosts successful Fall Festival

Families enjoy an evening of fun, food and games

Hayride

Dr. Reed leads a group out on the haunted hayride at the Fall Festival

Russell Hill, For The Tribe

During summer camp in July, the CTE Committee decided to plan a fun event for the community during the fall semester.  The restrictions and complications created by COVID-19 seemed to be draining a lot of the fun out of school events.  So the committee devised a plan for a Fall Festival to take place on October 30, the day before Halloween.

The CTE Committee, comprised of teachers Mrs. Smith and her FCCLA group, Mrs. Cannon and her HOSA group, Dr.  Reed and his FFA group, and Mr. Hill and his Student Media group planned the event with Natasha Newman, the Morton CTE Director.

Pumpkin decorating at the Fall Festival

CTE stands for Career and Technical Education and provides pathways of teaching, training, and certifications for students to enter a career path while in high school.  The areas available at Morton, each tied to a student service organization, are Family and Consumer Sciences with FCCLA, Health Occupations with HOSA, Agricultural Sciences with FFA, and Media and Journalism with Quill and Scroll Society and Skills USA.

Face painting at the Fall Festival

Planning for the event changed throughout the weeks leading up to the event for a variety of reasons.  There was difficulty in obtaining a venue, problems with organizing various aspects of the partner participation, and even a snowstorm at the beginning of the week with a school closure and delayed start that threatened to postpone or cancel the entire event.  But the committee and the students pressed on in the planning.

Children line up for the first round of the costume contest.

The event featured a silent auction of donated baked goods, a cakewalk, face painting, a costume contest, pumpkin decorating, cornhole games, raffles, food trucks, and a haunted hayride.  Kona Ice, Chiloso’s Tacos, and Kettle Korn Guy provided the food trucks.  The football team played a scrimmage just before the beginning of the festivities.

The top hit of the evening was the haunted hayride, with people standing in long lines all evening to ride out to the farm to hear the story of ghosts read by Miss Baumgardner. Funds raised during the Fall Festival were used to provide equipment and resources to the Family and Consumer Science and the Health Sciences groups.

Festival-goers look over the baked goods for sale at the Fall Festival

The CTE Committee plans on making this an annual event.